And Then the Head Explodes
Text and Illustration by Christina Röckl
What would you reply if asked, “What is the soul?” And if you asked a child? How would a child explain a term we adults have tried to define in a thousand smart books? In cooperation with children, illustrator Christina Röckl created texts which she collected and translated into striking images. Thus, an abstract idea becomes a picture book for adults invented by children – original, delightful, and deeply moving.
- Winner of the German Children’s Literature Award (Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis) 2015
- Beauty and the Book Award Winner, Frankfurt Book Fair 2014
- Joseph Binder Award – prize-winning entry
- on the longlist of the Most Beautiful German Books 2014 by Stiftung Buchkunst /Foundation Book Art
- nominated for the Serafina 2014, a young talent award for illustrators by the German Academy of Literature for Children and Young Readers in cooperation with the Frankfurt Book Fair/Foundation Book Art
For English-language publishers: The Goethe-Institut offers a guaranteed translation grant within the framework of the BOOKS FIRST program.
Also available as limited edition, featuring an included art print, signed by the author
ISBN: 978-3-942795-19-7 and 978-3-942795-20-3 (Sonderedition)
Format: 23,5 x 34,5 cm
Length: 72 Pages
DOP: March 2014
Price: 26,50 € and 60,00 € (Edition)
Hardcover, gloss lamination, fold-out middle page